There is a hierarchy of size, with the more significant figures larger and enthroned in their niches rather than standing. What hotels are near Wells Cathedral? These include a man with toothache and a series of four scenes depicting the "Wages of Sin" in a narrative of fruit stealers who creep into an orchard and are then beaten by the farmer. A cat playing with a mouse may represent the Devil snaring a human soul.  When the newly refurbished choir opened in 1339 many misericords were left unfinished, including one-fifth of the surviving 65. All orders are custom made and most ship worldwide within 24 hours. Website: Wells Cathedral Attraction Type: Cathedral The moat and north west tower of the Bishop’s Palace walls with Wells Cathedral in the background.  The vault has a multiplicity of ribs in a net-like form, which is very different from that of the nave, and is perhaps a recreation in stone of a local type of compartmented wooden roof of which examples remain from the 15th century, including those at St Cuthbert's Church, Wells. Many mouldings look almost like sculptures. The Decorated interior is described by Alec Clifton-Taylor as "architecturally the most beautiful in England".  In 1909–1910 an organ was built by Harrison & Harrison of Durham, with the best parts of the old organ retained.  While Wells survived the Dissolution of the Monasteries better than the cathedrals of monastic foundation, the abolition of chantries in 1547 resulted in a reduction in its income. These exquisitely decorative arches are pierced by wide circular holes, creating a diagonal cross said to be modelled after the saltire cross of St Andrew, to whom the church is dedicated. The Courtyard Restaurant (711) 3 min ££ - £££ French. The Golden Window at the east end of the choir depicting the. Five are clearly narrative, such as the Fox and the Geese, and the story of Alexander the Great being raised to Heaven by griffins. , The misericords date from 1330 to 1340. The brass lectern in the Lady Chapel dates from 1661 and has a moulded stand and foliate crest. A single figure stands in one of two later niches high on the northern tower.  It now sings for about 50 services a year, when the Cathedral Choir is in recess or on tour, and spends one week a year singing as the "choir in residence" at another cathedral.  They originally numbered 90, of which 65 have survived. They are found ornamenting the piers of the nave, choir and transepts. The 1620 organ was destroyed by parliamentary soldiers in 1643. The effect is simply jaw-dropping, and almost completely overwhelms the three west doorways, which have been compared to a trio of rabbit holes set in a mountainside. , West fronts in general take three distinct forms: those that follow the elevation of the nave and aisles, those that have paired towers at the end of each aisle, framing the nave, and those that screen the form of the building.  To the north-east is the large octagonal chapter house, entered from the north choir aisle by a passage and staircase.  The east end retains much ancient stained glass. , The earliest remains of a building on the site are of a late-Roman mausoleum, identified during excavations in 1980. , By the middle of the 19th century, a major restoration programme was needed. A staircase leads from the cathedral (right) to the chapter house and the Chain Gate which gives access to Vicars Close.  It is also a venue for musical events such as an annual concert by the Somerset Chamber Choir.  The current bishop of Bath and Wells is Peter Hancock, who was installed in a service in the Cathedral on 7 June 2014. The north transept with its Medieval clock face, the north porch and north-west tower.  The windows of the retrochoir are in the Reticulated style like those of the Lady Chapel, but are fully Flowing Decorated in that the tracery mouldings form ogival curves.  It was restored and extended by Benjamin Ferrey between 1846 and 1854. Its repertoire ranges from the choral music of the Renaissance to recently commissioned works.  During the Commonwealth of England under Oliver Cromwell no dean was appointed and the cathedral fell into disrepair. Experience Wells As A… Day Pupil; Boarder; International Pupil; Chorister; Specialist Musician; Specialist Mathematician; Military Family Member; Music.  Detailed studies of the stonework and of conservation practices were undertaken under the cathedral architect, Alban D. R. Caroe and a restoration committee formed.  A new statue of Jesus was carved for the central niche, but the two side niches now contain cherubim. The Café and Shop are closed, but the Cathedral remains open for individual prayer, … , The vault of the nave rises steeply in a simple quadripartite form, in harmony with the nave arcade. The Café and Shop are closed, but the Cathedral remains open for individual prayer, … 15th century (Time Period) - 1.8 miles (Countryside), Burcott Mill -  The uppermost niches of the gable contained the figure of Christ the Judge at the centre, with the Virgin Mary on his right and John the Baptist on his left. 29 Free photos of Wells Cathedral. Concerts are normally in early November, December (an annual performance of Handel's Messiah) and late March. A damaged figure of the Virgin and Christ Child occupies a quatrefoil in the spandrel of the door. Shop unique cards for Birthdays, Anniversaries, Congratulations, and more. In 1620 an organ built by Thomas Dallam was installed at a cost of £398 1s 5d. The Wells Cathedral School Symphony Orchestra of eighty players, has its main rehearsals from 3.00-6.00pm.  Since then, some have been restored or replaced, including the ruined figure of Christ in the gable.. View along the cloister showing the lierne vault. The Ancient History Encyclopedia logo is a registered EU trademark. The horizontal line of the nave is emphasised by the unbroken galleries.  It continues to provide music for the liturgy at Sunday and weekday services. These are at their finest and most accessible in the south transept. To the right of the central tower is the choir with the Lady Chapel projecting beyond it, and the chapter house, extreme right. The style, with its simple lancet arches without tracery and convoluted mouldings, is known as Early English Gothic. Wooden galleries installed in the 16th century were removed and the stalls were given stone canopies and placed further back within the line of the arcade.  In 2010 a major conservation programme was undertaken on the Jesse Tree window.