menard county courthouse

首页/1/menard county courthouse

menard county courthouse

An apparently pressing need was addressed almost immediately. COUNTY OF MENARD ) ) SS. Mailing Address: P.O. Elmer George Withers (1881-1938), listed as E. G. Withers in the Commissioners Court minutes, was born in 1881 in Caddo Peak, Texas. All of the windows across the two-story wing include the horizontal section below the casements, and several window air-conditioning units have been added in the horizontal openings. Commonly referred to as “Art Deco,” a term derived from Paris’s 1925 Exposition Internationale des Arts Decoratifs et Industriels Modernes, the building’s style is more accurately understood as a combination of fairly traditional design concepts with elements of the new “modernistic” formal vocabulary associated with Art Deco architecture. It should come as little surprise then, that the two Texas county courthouses most comparable to that of Menard, Voelker and Dixon’s 1930 Cottle County Courthouse and Lang and Witchell’s 1928 Eastland County Courthouse, were designed by prominent firms from the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. Mr. It was not until two months later, however, on March 14, 1932, that the Commissioners Court accepted a furniture contract with the Dorsey Company of Dallas. Thus on May 11, 1931, a tax of 25 cents on every $100 of property was established to pay for those items and to help cover the courthouse warrants. As work began, W.E. The simple, rectangular building, designed by McDermott and Associates, was sheathed in multiple shades of brick in an attempt to match the courthouse. Its seat is Menard. It is named for Michel Branamour Menard, the founder of Galveston, Texas. The Menard Messenger reported on November 19, 1931 that the new Boy Scout Troop was to have a room in the courthouse. Withers clearly understood the significance of form and massing to Art Deco architecture, which was then proliferating in Dallas and Fort Worth. Simpson, a consulting structural engineer from San Antonio, was called in to determine the best depth for the footings. No windows were included on the sides of the three-story sections, and the four-story mass has smaller casement windows without the lower horizontal openings. Contact Us Menard County Courthouse 102 South Seventh Street Petersburg, IL 62675 Courthouse Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM Please note the posted courthouse closing A total of 512 votes were received with 270 votes FOR and 242 votes AGAINST the bond. In May 1947, the library sponsored an art exhibit. COUNTY OF MENARD ) ) S.S. STATE OF ILLINOIS ) The Menard County Board of Commissioners met on Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. at the Menard County Courthouse, 102 S. Seventh Street, Petersburg, Illinois. County Seat: Menard The courtroom has been meticulously restored, from the wooden furniture and wainscoting, to the chandeliers to the gold trim painted on the sides of the folding seats in the gallery. Several repairs and changes have been made to the 1931 Menard County Courthouse since construction. The original bond of $80,000 was clearly inadequate for the substantial building that was designed, and even the revised one that was built. Simpson was paid $60 for his consultation. Despite the excitement surrounding the courthouse’s construction and, as importantly, the provision of work for local men during the Great Depression, many citizens were also interested in keeping the 1885 courthouse and jail for community use. Menard County, All civil cases at law over $300., Civil cases in equity., Proceedings in habeas corpus., Felonies and misdemeanors, Proceedings in quo warranto., Prohibition and certiorari cases., Appeals from magistrate court, municipal court, and administrative agenc, Phone Number: 217-632-2615 This method was applied to buildings’ defining formal components, like columns and cornices, as well as in limited areas of applied decoration, often in the form of low-relief sculptural carvings. Menard County is a county in the U.S. state of Illinois.According to the 2010 United States Census, it had a population of 12,705. Porter of San Angelo presented the lowest at $79,749. Although a cot was added in March 1937, the sheriff was ordered to discontinue use of the space in November of the same year because it was a hazard to a person’s health. The jail was reportedly a dungeon, in the building’s northwest corner, into which prisoners were lowered and from which they could not escape without a ladder. 2nd Floor, Menard County Courthouse Phone: (217) 632-2615 Fax: (217) 632-4124 Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Additional cast stone details decorate the front (north) façade of the Menard County Courthouse. The courthouse and jail were designed by architect T.P. The request stated that, “the cost of construction and equipment of the proposed new Court House and Jail will be paid for as follows, to wit: Seventy Thousand Dollars ($70,000.00) in cash, and the balance necessary to be added to this sum to equal the contract price to be paid by the issuance and delivery to the contractor by the Commissioner’s Court legally issued interest-bearing warrants, etc.” As concern for the cost grew, a petition was presented to the Court, signed by 290 citizens, requesting that the Court not issue deficiency warrants without prior approval from the voters. (Robinson 1983: 262-269) The Menard County Courthouse is an excellent example of the style’s swift and widespread adoption, even in more isolated rural counties. STATE OF ILLINOIS ) The Menard County Board of Commissioners met on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. at the Menard County Courthouse, 102 S. Seventh Street, Petersburg, Illinois. In 1966, a community swimming pool (non-contributing) and a concrete block support building (non-contributing) were built on the eastern half of the park. Over the following three years, the library remained dedicated to re-establishing an adequate library for the school. Several changes had been made to the original plans to keep the total cost below $100,000. The pecans that fall from the square’s many trees are considered public property and people often gather to collect them. The first floor was occupied by a store, with the courthouse and jail on the second floor, accessed from an exterior stair. COUNTY OF MENARD ) ) SS. The width of the bays varies across the elevation, in an A-B-A-B-A pattern. (Plan-19) Stairs at each end of the central section lead up to the second floor. This is an image of a place or building that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the United States of America. Call, or visit the court's website if listed above. This building housed the Menard County courthouse and jail from 1880-84. Menardville established itself early on as the county’s commercial center, with 300 residents by the early 1890s. Although the 1930 Fort Worth directory listed the firm as Withers & Thompson, Withers was listed individually in both the 1928 and the 1931 directories. Except for the addition of a few ceiling fans, the district courtroom is virtually unchanged since its original construction. 817-404-4638 The library has been an important and active institution in Menard. The storeroom in the basement was also added at this time, and a curved, Formica-covered desk was purchased for the county courtroom. Together, these isolated events illustrate the variety of functions that a courthouse must serve in a small rural community. Its central three bays are recessed slightly, separated by fluted cast stone pilasters with ornamental medallions above each one. E. D. Porter was listed in the 1931 San Angelo City Directory as a building contractor at 1005 W. Avenue D. He was the general contractor on the 1930 Kimble County Courthouse, where he was also contracted to do the plumbing, wiring, and heating. In addition to its function as the center of county government, the Menard County Courthouse has also housed several other community uses. The presence of Apaches and Comanches continued to discourage settlement of the area into the mid 19th century, even after it was included in the 1842 Fisher-Miller Land Grant, in which the Republic of Texas gave more than three million acres to the San Saba Colonization Company to entice European immigrants to the valley. This photo is in 7 groups Illinois Flickrjournal 115,732 items Architecture of Illinois 3,503 items Architecture of Days Gone By 235,176 items Building with Stone 19,848 items buildings are beautiful 124,358 items Sky & Cloud Junkies (Please follow the rules :) 217,079 items A public privy was also erected for $209 by Scruggs & Schuchard. The rear (south) elevation of the Menard County Courthouse, which faces the courthouse parking lot, is a simpler version of the front façade. http://www.state.il.us/court/CircuitCourt/CircuitMap/8th.asp#Menard, The Public Access to Court Records (PACER). texascouDfji209Dirthouses@yah2sd9Dioo.com. Beyond its formal role as the center of county government, the courthouse and its square represent the heart of public life in Menard County. He received no formal architectural training and is believed to have gained his architectural knowledge through apprenticeships and correspondence courses. A set of steps, flanked by low concrete walls, leads up to the entrance, and a wheelchair ramp has been added up the center of the steps. Elmer J. Withers of the Fort Worth firm Withers and Thompson, designed the new courthouse with a … At some point, the county had changed their original plans, because by the time the plans were approved the jail was included within the courthouse building. The structural clay tile walls are sheathed in multiple shades of brick, arranged randomly, and pierced by symmetrically arranged metal casement windows. Although it illustrates a common approach to courthouse design in the period, the building’s stepped massing and strong formal statement are atypical, revealing the architect’s exposure to and sophisticated understanding of the style. County Seat: Menardville Although the original transom is in place, the rear entry door has been replaced with a non-historic aluminum door and sidelights. The form of the Menard County Courthouse is composed from several distinct masses of differing heights. Mr. Luckenbach used the building to start his hardware store, and substantial additions were made in the 1930s. An additional jail cell, known as the “dungeon,” was originally placed in the unfinished basement and used for prisoners too drunk or difficult to get up four flights of stairs. (Cohen 1988: 24), In addition to the Menard County Courthouse, Withers designed several other Texas county courthouses during his career, including: 1911 Jones County Courthouse, Anson; 1912 Armstrong County Courthouse, Claude; 1912 Marion County Courthouse, Jefferson; 1932 Young County Courthouse, Graham (with Thompson); 1938 Ector County Courthouse, Odessa; and 1938 Upshur County Courthouse, Gilmer. A request had already been made, in July 1931, to donate the stone from the 1885 courthouse and jail to the Pioneer Rest Cemetery, which was the course of action chosen by the Commissioners. A square boiler chimney, slightly taller than the central mass, rises from the intersection of the east wing and the three-story section. A petition was circulated in 1930 calling for a bond election to build a new courthouse and jail. Kasch of Big Springs, Texas, was offered the plumbing and heating contract for their bid of $8,844.02. The building’s design exemplifies the widespread influence of Art Deco architecture on Texas county courthouses, but also the tendency to retain some entrenched traditional features. Petersburg, IL 62675-0466 Present Status: Gone The second building used as a courthouse was a limestone commercial building in downtown Menard. As the county seat, Menard continues to serve primarily as a supporting center of commerce for the area’s agricultural economy, but tourism is an increasingly important industry for the town and county. In addition to those costs, a vault and partition wall in the County Clerk’s office were not added until 1937. The canal separates the southern block, which includes the courthouse and 1980 jail building (non-contributing), from the northern block, a mostly open space known as American Legion Park. An American Legion marker commemorating Menard County men killed in combat was erected in 1967, and a Texas Civil War Defense Monument is also on the square. The 1931 Menard County Courthouse has served as the center of county government for over seventy years. At that time, the north and south halves of the square were still separate blocks, divided by Canal Street. Commissioners Bob Lott, Jeff The Commissioners Court seems to have been continually issuing extra warrants to pay for items that were not included in the construction bid, such as furniture and plumbing. Along with doing all the electrical work, they were to provide three electric clocks for the courthouse: one for the Commissioners Courtroom, one for the District Courtroom, and one for the jail dormitory. Two commissioners voted to put the footings at 22 feet, but the judge and other two commissioners went the other direction and agreed on a depth of 9 feet, which was where the foundation was set. The 1932 Menard County courthouse received an interior and exterior restoration and was rededicated on November 11, 2006. Fax: 217-632-4124 *county-courthouse.com is not affiliated with the Official US Government, or any state, local, or federal office. A bid of $1,333.50 was accepted from Bunyard Electric Company on May 15, 1931. Designed by successful Fort Worth architect E.G. The façade’s metal casement windows vary in size and style. For all but the four-story section, the cornice consists only of a row of bricks laid in soldier course. The library used the courthouse space, free of charge, until March 1963, when it was moved to a house at the corner of Bevans and Mission Streets. He moved to Fort Worth in 1910, where he began a solo practice. The form is nearly symmetrical, with the front distinguished by its protruding one-story entrance section and slightly more shallow three-story mass. The canal remains in use today, still fed by its original dam. This work appears to have been more successful, as no other roof repairs were reported until the 1980s. Present Status: Gone. (Cohen 1988: 24, Menard Messenger). Website: http://www.state.il.us/court/CircuitCourt/CircuitMap/8th.asp#Menard, Staff: Diane M. Lagoski, Chief Judge; Sharon Main - Trial Court Administrator The county has thus retained much of its rural character. A long sidewalk leads from the north entrance of the park, marked by a sign that straddles the sidewalk, to the front entrance of the courthouse. The historical celebration, “Jim Bowie Days,” has also been held on the courthouse square for the past 10 years. He recommended a minimum depth of 9 feet, but preferred a depth of at least 14 feet. It was also mentioned that, without a new courthouse, the county would still have to spend at least $5,000 on a new vault. The Commissioners Court ordered on May 13, 1884, that bonds be issued for the construction of a new courthouse and jail, and county residents responded by passing a $20,000 bond issue. (Menard County Historical Society, 1982). In addition to securing a number of his own commissions, Withers served as associate architect to the St. Louis firm of Mauran, Russell, and Crowell on Fort Worth’s 1929 Blackstone Hotel, and to Wyatt C. Hedrick on both the 1936 Will Rogers Memorial Center and the 1938 Fort Worth City Hall. The paper also noted that, because of the Great Depression, “[a] court house can be constructed at this special time for considerably less than at ordinary or normal times.” Arguments were made about the assurance of local labor being used during the construction and the wisdom of paying bonds over an extended period of time, whereby the county could keep up with the loan during the difficult economic times of the Great Depression and pay more in the future as the economy allowed. The only cast stone used on the rear elevation is in the cornice and pilaster “capitals” of the four-story mass. To pay for the furniture, Menard County Courthouse Equipment Warrants in the amount of $4,000 were issued at 6 % interest to mature over 4 years. Its county seat is Petersburg, which is also the location of the county's only stop light. Locate Menard real estate and other county court records held by the County Clerk including birth certificates, death certificates, marriage licenses, and divorce records. COUNTY OF MENARD ) ) S.S. STATE OF ILLINOIS ) The Menard County Board of Commissioners met on Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. at the Menard County Courthouse, 102 S. Seventh Street, Petersburg, Illinois. The 1931 Menard County Courthouse has served the local community for over seven decades. Marker Text: Menard County organized in 1871 and officials built the first courthouse in 1880 and a second in 1886. The fort was re-established as Fort McKavett in 1868, encouraging new settlement and marking the beginning of Menard County’s modern history. Let us know here, Montgomery County Courthouse120 N. Main Street, Room 1250.0 mile away, McDonough County Courthouse#1 Courthouse Square0.0 mile away, Bond County Courthouse200 West College11.3 miles away, © 2020 Everything-Bytes | Terms of Use & Privacy Policy. Twenty-two bids came in on March 9, 1931, ranging from $135,000 to $176,000. The Menard County Courthouse’s dramatic stepped massing is a particularly striking feature of its design. The Commissioners selected separate subcontractors from the combined bids that were received. The most influential aspect of this new vocabulary, especially in the United States, was the tendency to replace historicist decorative features with a rigidly geometric, stylized form of ornamentation. Unless changed by further public notice, the meetings will occur in the Menard County Courthouse, 102 South Seventh Street, Petersburg, Illinois 62675. The Menard County Courthouse is therefore nominated to the National Register under Criterion A in the area of Government and Criterion C in the area of Architecture, both at the local level of significance. The clay tile walls are sheathed in multiple shades of brick, arranged randomly, and decorated with cast stone detailing. Menard County first elected its own officials in 1871, and their first meetings were held in a picket house at the corner of San Saba Street and Ellis Street. Additional county offices are in the wings, with the district courtroom occupying the majority of the building’s central core. Commissioners Bob Lott, Jeff While most Art Deco-influenced courthouses in Texas, and especially those in more rural counties, derive their modern “look” primarily from ornamentation, Withers’s design focused on the building’s form, and its complex massing maintains a strong visual presence on every elevation. In addition to hosting these events, the courthouse square provides more informal opportunities for community interaction. “The first men to the shovels when the word go was announced got the jobs.” (The Menard Messenger March 26,1931; Menard News Nov. 11, 1971). The building’s very traditional H-shaped courthouse plan, with the central courtroom flanked by supporting offices, is obscured by the modern look of its rigidly geometric, stepped masses and its limited, stylized ornamentation. Is any of the above incorrect? The stones from the old courthouse and jail were used to build the fence around the Pioneer Rest Cemetery in Menard. According to The Menard Messenger, a petition signed by all the directors of the Chamber of Commerce was presented to the Commissioners Court requesting that the old jail be saved for “some general purpose.” (August 13, 1931) The Lions Club also supported the retention of the jail for use as a meeting space, library or other public purpose. The original plans called for a full basement, but that was quickly eliminated due to the cost. Menard County is a county located on the Edwards Plateau in the U.S. state of Texas.As of the 2010 census, its population was 2,242. Menard County Clerk's Office Texas. The Menard County Jail occupied the top floor of the courthouse from 1932 until 1980, when the new jail was built. In August 1943, a contract for $897 was accepted from Probst Roofing Co. to repair the roof over the jail and on the south side of the building (near the jailers quarters). Menard’s courthouse square consists of two full blocks of land, bisected from west to east by a c.1875 irrigation canal (contributing), commonly known as “the ditch” or “the big ditch,” which extends from five miles above Menard to five miles below and irrigates 2,000 acres of land. The east and west elevations of the courthouse are identical, although the view of the east elevation is obscured by the 1980 jail building. Commissioners Bob Lott, Jeff A separate builder, Walker Mowath & Co., was used for the jail. Building Materials/Description: Vernacular, wood picket, Building Completion Date: 1886 It was designed by P.H. How was I chosen? texascouDfji209Dirthouses@yah2sd9Dioo.com, TexasCourthouses.com Mrs. Will Nixon was ordered on January 11, 1932, to purchase furniture for the second floor Witness Room (then referred to as the Rest Room), not to exceed $500. By the time the Spanish reached the valley, in the eighteenth century, they found enough Apache and Comanche residents to warrant the establishment of a mission, Santa Cruz de San Sabá, and a military fort, San Luis de las Amarillas Presidio, in 1757.

Gerber Lmf 2 Survival, Meaning Of Lavender Color, High Quality Jeans Texture, Koo App Wikipedia, Lipscomb University Application Deadline Fall 2021, Longest Place Name In The World Wales, Condos For Rent Oxford, Ms, What Is Utility Computing Mcq, Ghu Battery Reviews,

2020-12-03|1|